We’ve all been through this scenario – you squeeze down the very last ounce of toothpaste from the tube and the next morning you go to the bathroom to brush your teeth only to find out that there is nothing left.
What should you do when something like this happens, especially when you are traveling to remote areas? According to dentists at Celebrity Smiles, in Westmont, skipping brushing your teeth should never be your answer.
You have to make sure that your teeth are cleaned even if it means using alternatives. In this post, we will reveal 4 great alternatives to toothpaste you can use when you’re out of one.
Use Baking Soda Instead
- Many kinds of toothpaste use baking soda in their formula and there is a very good reason for it. Baking soda is used a lot for cleaning purposes because it is safe and effective especially when you don’t have a toothbrush or toothpaste.
So next time when you unexpectedly run out of toothpaste, just use some baking soda instead. You can apply the soda on a toothbrush, your finger, or cloth and brush your teeth!
Use Teeth Wipes In Emergency
- It is always a good idea to keep some teeth wipes in your bag or at home for quick cleaning. It is a great alternative to toothpaste since it can be used as small finger gloves that can help get rid of food particles and plaque by just rubbing your finger on your teeth.
Although teeth wipes are a great alternative, you should not be replacing them with toothpaste because they are not intended for daily use, so make sure only to use them when you really need them.
Chew Some Gum
- Sugar-free gum is a very good way of cleaning your teeth when brushing your teeth is not possible. Chewing gum not only stimulates saliva production in the mouth, but it also helps clean your teeth by removing food particles and debris.
Again, chewing gum should not be used as a replacement for brushing teeth, however it can help you in times when you are absolutely out of toothpaste and other alternatives. Pop a gum after a meal and you’re good to go!
Use Hydrogen Peroxide or Mouthwash
- Mouthwash or hydrogen peroxide are also good alternatives to brushing. Both of these can help wash away bad bacteria from the mouth and as well as remove any food particles or debris stuck in your teeth.
If you have hydrogen peroxide available, only use it in moderate quantities and avoid swallowing it at all costs. Simply mix it with some water and swish in your mouth and spit to get the best results.
- Not brushing your teeth because you ran out of toothpaste shouldn’t be an excuse when you have so many alternatives to brushing available. Whenever possible, use these to clean your teeth so that they can remain healthy and pearly white.
But remember, no amount of brushing and flossing can ensure absolutely perfect teeth. This is why it is important to visit a dentist for general dentistry services such as routine examinations and cleanings. Only a dentist can find underlying dental conditions that may pose a risk to your teeth.
Visit a dentist regularly alongside practicing good oral hygiene and you’re rarely run into trouble within your mouth.