Top dentists from Westmont discuss common types of orthodontic treatments
Various orthodontic treatments have been developed in the last two to three decades that can greatly benefit you and help you correct different dental problems. These treatments can go a long way in helping you obtain that perfect and beautiful smile that will give you self-confidence and a positive attitude. Orthodontic treatments can be used in a variety of ways with varying degrees of success based on your dental problems.
These treatments are usually recommended by an orthodontist who examines your teeth and recommends a treatment that will be best suited for you. Here we will discuss some of the most common orthodontic treatments:
- Braces are one of the oldest and most common types of orthodontic treatment. Braces are applied using a technique in which a metal bracket is bonded to each tooth’s surface and then all these brackets are connected together with the help of either metal wires or elastics. These wires are then adjusted after regular checkups based on the progress that has been made until a point where your teeth become perfectly aligned.
Braces are available in different varieties depending on your needs and budget. Some of the most common types of braces are;
- These braces are commonly referred to as traditional braces and are used because of their durability and affordability. These are made up of metal brackets that are applied to your teeth and a metal wire which goes through them.
- Lingual braces are similar to traditional metal braces with the key difference being that they are applied on the inner side of the teeth. They are normally preferred over traditional braces because they are not visible from the outside.
- These braces are made using transparent material that gives your teeth a more natural look because of the fact that they are barely noticeable. These braces are an ideal alternative for patients who are self-conscious and worried about the visibility of the braces.
- Contrary to the traditional braces, the Invisalign is a relatively new technology and is being used all over the world because of its effectiveness and appearance. Invisalign allows you to get your teeth properly aligned without the need of attaching any metal brackets to them. The Invisalign consists of a series of plastic transparent aligners that can be easily removed and applied and can be customized according to your teeth to ensure the best results possible.
This treatment is relatively expensive as compared to the traditional braces but they offer a large number of benefits which make them an ideal choice for you.
- This is another type of orthodontic treatment that is commonly used in America. This treatment is done primarily to fix the placement of the back teeth in a way that your front teeth get pushed back thus giving them a more uniform and aligned look. The major drawback of using headgear is that you cannot do a lot of things while you are wearing it. You can normally wear it only in the evening or at night.
- A retainer is another common type of orthodontic treatment that is normally used during the ending stages of treatment. These retainers also come in both fixed and removable forms and can be applied based on your requirements.
Typically, when you use retainers they perform the function of holding your teeth back while the gums and bones are getting adjusted to the new spot because of the braces. These retainers ensure that your teeth will stay uniformly aligned during the final stages of the treatment.
Here, we have discussed some of the most common orthodontic treatments that are used worldwide for a wide range of dental problems. These treatments need to be correctly recommended and administered by expert orthodontists to ensure that you get the best results possible.
So, if you live in Westmont, Illinois, and have any questions about these orthodontic treatments or if you are looking to book an appointment with one of our expert orthodontists then you can contact us today at Celebrity Smiles and General Dentistry.