Are Invisalign aligners better or worse than metal braces?
Some of us are blessed with perfectly positioned teeth and a dazzling smile. Others have to pay in sweat, blood, and money to get that gorgeous symmetrical smile. If you have crooked, crowded, or misshapen teeth, then a dental procedure will help you get them in shape.
Two of the most common methods opted by orthodontists for correction of misaligned teeth are the use of metal braces and Invisalign. Both techniques help in repositioning your teeth. However, they differ in their way of working.
First, let us look at the basics of both techniques.
Braces and Invisalign – The Basics
- Braces are made of metal brackets. They are fixed on top of the enamel of each tooth. Brackets are connected by metal wires. They exert pressure over the teeth to mold and realign them.
- Invisalign is a comparatively newer technique for teeth remolding. It makes use of BPA-free aligner trays which patients wear over their teeth. These trays gradually reposition and realign your teeth.
Now that we have a basic understanding of both metal and Invisalign braces, let us see which technique fares better in terms of ease, appearance, cost, comfort, and duration.
Comfort and Convenience
- In the case of metal braces, the wires and brackets are known to cause discomfort, swollen gums and mild pain. Patients have reported the formation of sores inside their mouths. This can occur when metal scrapes with gums and other parts of the mouth.
Metal braces are irremovable. Patients have to wear them 24/7 till the end of treatment. Braces also limit the intake of chewy and hard food like pretzels and candy. Chewy food can get stuck in the brackets, which can cause infections and cavities.
- Compared to braces, Invisalign offers more comfort and convenience. They can be easily removed at any time. Patients take the trays off before eating and drinking. Since they are tailormade for each patient, they are known to cause no discomfort. Plastic is a much softer and smoother material compared to metal.
Verdict: You will have to remove the aligners every time you eat and drink and brush teeth before putting them back on. If this seems reasonable to you, then Invisalign is a better option because of the ease and comfort it provides.
- Metal braces are easily discernible. While a lot of people are comfortable with how they look with braces on, some people are more self-conscious. Particularly for adults, braces are not a viable option because of their prominent appearance.
On the other hand, Invisalign is made of transparent plastic. The aligners blend in with the teeth. The common onlooker will not be able to distinguish them. They will appear as a part of the natural teeth.
- Verdict: if the prominent appearance of braces bothers you, then Invisalign trays are the more suitable option for you.
Duration of Time
- The duration of treatment largely depends upon the patient’s needs and how complex his situation is. On average, Invisalign aligners have to be worn for 22-24 hours a day to see the desired results. With Invisalign, the treatment goes on for 6 to 18 months.
The duration of treatment with metal braces is usually two years. Unlike Invisalign, metal braces cannot be removed so they have to be worn 24/7.
- Verdict: Both methods have almost similar durations for treatment.
Cost of Treatment
- Cost can be a decisive factor for many patients. On average, treatment with braces costs around $1800 to $5,500. The cost is determined by the complexity of the patient and his needs.
For Invisalign, the treatment costs around $5000.
- Verdict: Invisalign can be the costlier of the two procedures.
From the above points, we can conclude than Invisalign is a more convenient and hassle-free treatment for rectifying overcrowded teeth. Nevertheless, the choice of treatment is largely determined by the requirement of the patient.
If you are looking for dental services in Westmont IL, contact Celebrity Smiles and General Dentistry. They offer premium quality services for fixing Invisalign braces.