Here are some of the top practices used by dentists for healthy teeth and gums.
Teeth are an important part of the body. They not only play a very vital role in the mastication of food but also contribute to the overall aesthetic appeal of a person. A bright and beautiful smile is an indicator of good dental health. It can only be achieved by practicing good dental hygiene.
The mouth is the gateway to the body. Everything we eat passes through the mouth. Our teeth get exposed to multiple different harmful substances during the course of a day. These substances can damage the teeth and result in the formation of plaque, tartar, and subsequently dental cavities.
The probability of these dental ailments can be minimized by taking good care of your oral hygiene. If you wish to have healthy teeth for life, you must take care of your teeth and gums. Celebrity Smiles and General Dentistry located in Westmont IL has brought to you 4 must-do best practices for excellent dental health.
Brush Regularly and Gently
Brushing your teeth twice a day is the most important and basic step towards achieving good oral health. The mechanical action of brushing removes cavity-causing bacteria and any plaque that has been deposited. However, brushing becomes most effective when done correctly.
The following precautions should be taken while brushing teeth:
- Brush your teeth in a circular motion. Make sure that the toothbrush reaches all sides of the teeth.
- Brush your teeth for 2-3 minutes twice a day.
- Use a soft or medium-hardness toothbrush. Rigorous brushing with a hard-bristled toothbrush can damage the teeth and the gums. As a result, teeth may experience sensitivity, gum erosion, or irreversible damage to the tooth’s enamel.
As per the instructions of the American Dental Association, the toothbrush should be changed every 3-4 months. Opt for a soft-bristled toothbrush for protection against enamel damage.
Incorporate Flouride in Your Routine
- Our mouth’s saliva contains important minerals such as sodium, calcium, and magnesium. These minerals play a vital role in replenishing the strength of teeth. Fluoride is an important mineral that helps in the strengthening of teeth and saves them from decay. Fluoride is absent from the saliva, hence it has to be obtained from outer sources.
Dentists recommend using fluoride-rich toothpaste and mouthwash. Multiple neighborhoods in the USA are supplied with fluoride-enriched water. World Health Organization (WHO) lays special emphasis on the provision of fluoride-rich water.
- If you are not using fluoride-enriched dental accessories, it is time to make a shift to them.
The combined action of brushing and flossing is important for getting rid of food remnants and bacteria. Dental floss can remove debris from the nooks and creaks which are beyond the reach of a toothbrush.
- The recommended way to floss is to gently push the dental floss on the gum line. Then embrace both sides of the floss and move it in an up-and-down motion. Be gentle in your motion of the floss otherwise, your gum will be injured and plaque will not be removed.
Use a Mouthwash Regularly
Most people skip mouthwash as they believe it is not as important as brushing and flossing. Experts agree that regular use of mouthwash helps reduce the probability of getting dental infections. Most mouthwashes contain chlorhexidine which is an antibacterial ingredient.
Swishing mouthwash inside the mouth allows it to eliminate bacteria and reduce the chances of infections. Mouthwash serves the following three purposes:
- Reminirealizes and strengthens the teeth
- Neutralizes the acidic content in the mouth
- Removes bacteria from hard-to-brush areas of the mouth
For more details, visit Celebrity Smiles and General Dentistry. They offer services for general and preventive dentistry.