Learn the basics of preventive dentistry and why it is important
As the saying goes: prevention is better than cure. This adage is particularly relevant when it comes to dental health. The average American suffers from multiple dental issues such as cavities, swollen gums, or teeth sensitivity off and on. Most of these issues can be avoided or delayed if some tender loving care (TLC) is shown to our teeth.
Preventive dentistry is the branch of dental medicine which deals with healthy practices to avoid dental diseases and ensure healthier oral hygiene. Improved dental health reduces the occurrence of dental diseases and ensures optimal oral health. Practicing preventive dentistry has multiple benefits which can be broadly categorized as follows:
- Saves the cost of complicated dental procedures.
- Precious teeth and gums are saved from being lost to dental diseases.
- Dental anxiety and pain can be avoided.
Preventive dentistry reaps long-term benefits and is easy to practice. Let us look at some of the best practices which can help ensure good oral health.
Be Mindful of What You Eat
Diet is the primary component in determining the overall health of a person. The same goes for the health of your teeth and gums. Your diet can impact your oral health in the following ways:
- Teeth are made of the same material as bones. They require essential nutrients such as calcium and fluoride for healthy functioning. A strong tooth will be less prone to dental decay and enamel erosion. Regular consumption of nutrient-rich foods such as cheese, milk, fresh vegetables, and fruits ensures good dental strength.
The biting and chewing actions required for eating vegetables and fruits also help gums maintain their strength.
- Just as healthy food can do wonders for your teeth, sugary and sticky food destroy your teeth. Foods high in sugar content allow the breeding of disease-causing bacteria leading to an increased probability of dental decay.
Take Essential Supplements
- According to the American Medical Association, the average American does not consume a wholesome and balanced diet. To make up for dietary shortcomings, it is recommended to take high-absorbing natural supplements.
They enter the bloodstream and deliver essential nutrients wherever required. Pharmaden nutraceuticals are one such supplement that help the body in multiple ways. They boost the immune system and provide strength to bones and teeth.
- These supplements are recommended by multiple dentists and are considered an essential part of periodontal therapy.
Brush, Floss, Gargle Repeat
- Good oral health starts with optimal dental hygiene. In order to ensure a healthy oral environment, it is important to keep the decay-causing bacteria at bay. The basic rule of dental hygiene is to brush your teeth twice a day to remove elusive food particles stuck to your teeth.
These particles are breeding grounds for plaque build-up. The mechanical action of the brush removes the plaque while the antiseptic properties of toothpaste kill bacteria.
- Dental floss helps remove food bits stuck in teeth fissures and pits. Flossing removes evasive food particles. Gargling with fluoride-enriched mouthwash keeps the breath fresh. It also strengthens teeth and protects against dental decay.
Regular Dental Checkups
- A healthy person should visit a dentist twice a year even if he has no apparent dental problems. Routine dental visits help in early detection of any underlying oral issues such as deposition of plaque.
If you are residing in Westmont, IL we recommend you to look up Celebrity Smiles and General Dentistry. They provide excellent dental care services. Book a dental appointment at Celebrity Smiles for regular dental checkups.
They can be your trusted partners for ensuring the best of your dental health.