Teeth reshaping is one of the most cost-effective, and convenient dental procedures to fix a chipped, poorly aligned, or uneven teeth to help you get an attractive smile. Most dentists usually combine teeth shaping with another treatment called bonding or contouring which makes use of a resin to enhance the overall appearance of your smile.
The front teeth are typically the best candidates for this kind of treatment. We take a deeper look at how reshaping is done and what you can expect from it as a patient.
What is Teeth Reshaping?
- Teeth reshaping which is commonly also called dental contouring is a cosmetic dentistry procedure that is performed to remove small amounts of tooth enamel in order to change the length, shape, or surface of the teeth.
The procedure is typically performed on patients who have crooked, cracked, uneven or chipped teeth. It is an alternative to bracers or Invisalign treatments. Even a millimeter change on your teeth can help elevate the appearance of your teeth which is why it is sought out by so many.
- The best thing about teeth reshaping is that you will never feel pain or discomfort when the treatment is being performed.
Are You a Candidate for Teeth Reshaping?
- If you don’t like having chipped, crooked or unattractive teeth, then this procedure is good for you. Book an appointment with a dentist today to talk further about your options. With little teeth reshaping, it can make a huge difference in how your smile appears and how you feel about it.
However, keep in mind that this procedure is only suitable if the condition of the teeth is minor in nature. Because removing a lot of enamel from the teeth can weaken them, it is a good idea to go for bracers or Invisalign treatments instead.
How is the Procedure Performed?
- To reshape the teeth, the dentist will first remove the enamel of the affected teeth with a drill or laser. Before they begin the treatment, they will also require a full X-Ray of your jaw to evaluate the size and location of the pulp of the teeth to ensure that there is enough space in between so the teeth don’t become loosened.
Next, the dentist starts working with the areas that are affected by shortening the long teeth or reshaping the badly shaped teeth to even them out. They may even do this to align your teeth together. After that, the teeth are polished and smoothened to give a pleasing look.
- The teeth reshaping procedure usually lasts about 30 minutes but it largely depends on how many teeth the dentist has to work on.
How To Take Care of Your Teeth Afterwards
- After the procedure, you may have to follow an after-care routine to maintain the attractiveness of your teeth. Bonded or reshaped teeth are highly susceptible to staining and chipping which means that you will have to avoid biting on hard things, chewing fingernails, or eating hard food.
You will also have to avoid opening things with your teeth to reduce the risk of chipping. You will have to maintain oral hygiene by brushing and flossing your teeth on a daily basis.
- Teeth shaping can change your life for the better. It will boost your confidence and will make you feel good about yourself. Because this procedure is relatively cost-effective and quick, we encourage you to talk to your dentist about it if you have uneven teeth.
At Celebrity Smiles, we perform teeth reshaping procedures on almost a daily basis. We have some of the best dentists in Westmont ready to help give you an attractive smile. Book your appointment today or visit our dentist’s office in Westmont to get started.